Malaria !
Malaria in humans is caused by one of four protozoan
species of the genus Plasmodium: P. falciparum, P.
vivax, P. ovale, or P. malariae. All species
are transmitted by the bite of an infected female Anopheles mosquito.
Occasionally, transmission occurs by blood transfusion or congenitally
from mother to fetus. Although malaria can be a fatal disease, illness
and death from malaria are largely preventable.

Lariam
Today and the following five Saturdays team Bolivia will take one Lariam with a full meal. Found out that it is best to slice the package to prevent crushing the tablet to powder.
The idea of taking a pill or getting a shot to prevent contracting, what in America would be extremely rare to come in contact with, is sobering. I have to say I welcome the risk. In some strange way I am happy for the risks that come with this little outing. Just a few more days and away we go!
species of the genus Plasmodium: P. falciparum, P.
vivax, P. ovale, or P. malariae. All species
are transmitted by the bite of an infected female Anopheles mosquito.
Occasionally, transmission occurs by blood transfusion or congenitally
from mother to fetus. Although malaria can be a fatal disease, illness
and death from malaria are largely preventable.

Lariam
Today and the following five Saturdays team Bolivia will take one Lariam with a full meal. Found out that it is best to slice the package to prevent crushing the tablet to powder.
The idea of taking a pill or getting a shot to prevent contracting, what in America would be extremely rare to come in contact with, is sobering. I have to say I welcome the risk. In some strange way I am happy for the risks that come with this little outing. Just a few more days and away we go!
4 Comments:
Billy,
Welcome to my world. Malaria is very common here but I've been able to avoid it so far. Seems mosiquitos just don't like my blood much so I rarely get bit. Every year we have 10 to 20 cases of malaria on the ship. If it's caught early enough it can be treated effectively. Just today I had to send someone home from my literacy class because he had malaria.
It can be fatal and it is one of the leading causes of death in Africa. So take your larium my friend but don't be surprised if you start having strange dreams, one of the side effects of larium many of us experience on the ship. :)
Thank you for the insight Jenni. I will certainly take my pills.
Hey Billy!
From my experience you can get malaria even if and when you are taking your meds like a good boy :) I do hope and pray that you arent lucky enough to host the little guys in your liver :) I have had it four times. Its no fun.
Blessing to you brother!
Thank you Sean for adding to the thrill! Now that we are here at the missions house I am happy to say it is quite nice. We drink only bottled water and avoid any local food. Heres hoping I do not join you in the delights of malaria. Thank you for your encouragment. I truly admire you!
Post a Comment
<< Home