Monday, June 06, 2005

Summary Statement

Hi guys!
I enjoyed hearing the testimonies on Wednesday night. Since I did not speak, and, therfore, not thinking about what I was going to say or what I had said, I could really listen to what you had to say and it was very touching.

I do not consider myself a "writer" but, every once in a while, I am led to write something to get what I'm feeling and thinking out. Our trip to Bolivia was the most touching for me, so far, and I was led to write about one of the biggest lessons God showed me on this trip which I want to share with you.


I miss you all!
Karen


We knew what to do

We had done medical mission trips before.
We knew what to do.
We collected the medicines.
We made our selections from the pharmaceutical companies.
We were ready to treat many ailments.
We inventoried the medications and typed our lists.
We printed instruction slips and packed the zip-lock bags.
We were ready to serve through the most efficient pharmacy ever.
We knew what to do.
We had done this before.
We were proud.
We were confident.
This was our plan and, surely, it was God’s plan, too.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

It was not God’s plan.
We thought we knew what to do.
We were confident our plan was God’s plan.
But, God had a different plan.
God’s plan did not involve medications.
God’s plan did not involve instruction slips and zip-lock bags.
God’s ways are not our ways.
God’s plan involved sacrifice and flexibility.
God’s plan involved disappointment and humility.
God’s plan involved prayer and opening our hearts.
A humbling lesson learned the hard way.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Our hearts and minds were open.
God showed us we did not need medications to show His love.
We can show his love with personal attention and a gentle touch.
We can show his love by teaching ways to stay healthy.
We can show his love by playing with children and bringing a smile to their faces.
We can show his love by serving a hot, nutritious meal.
We can show his love by praying with an ailing woman.
We can show his love by simply sharing His gospel message.

We had done medical mission trips before and we will do medical mission trips again.
We will collect the medicines, but we will provide so much more.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home